SMS Marketing is proven to be the most effective marketing platform for your Shopify store that results in the highest conversion as compared to email and other marketing methods. It allows Shopify store owners to connect with customers in a personal way and generate more sales. We have compiled a list of a few facts to support this argument.
- 90% of all SMS are read within 3 minutes
- SMS has an open rate of around 98% while email marketing has an open rate of just 22%
- SMS offers are 10 times more likely to be redeemed than email offers
- 75% of consumers are okay to receive offers via SMS
- An average American checks his phone 47 times a day and 2 times his emails per day.
- 23% more people will opt-in to receive SMS in 2020
- 5 billion people can receive SMS
- SMS message has a 209% more response rate than the email, phone of Facebook message
- Only 10% of SMS marketing is spam compared to 80% of email marketing
- An average person takes 90 seconds to reply to an SMS
- 6 out of every 10 persons tend to have a positive impression about a business if contacted by SMS
- 50% of US population is likely to purchase if a branded SMS is sent
- Consumers prefer SMS to contact support
Top five reasons why consumers opt-in for SMS marketing
- Coupon or deals (78%)
- Personal services (53%)
- To be updated (48%)
- Informative Content (34%)
- Need to visit a physical location, website or an app (30%)
How to do SMS marketing on Shopify?
Before you can start SMS marketing, first you need to collect phone numbers from customers. There are two ways to collect phone numbers on Shopify:
- Enable SMS marketing opt-in on checkout page
- Offer discounts on SMS opt-in via pop-up or embedded widget
Enabling option to enter a phone number on the checkout page:
When customers place an order on the Shopify store, they have the option to enter the email address by default but you can enable the phone number option and customers can checkout via either email or phone number.
- Login as admin and go to settings, click on checkout option
- Make the account optional or required and select the options that customers can checkout with either email or phone number
Shopify edit SMS for order notifications:
- Log in as admin, click settings and then click on notifications
- There you can see different notification options, click anyone that you want to edit
- Click on second tab “SMS” to edit and preview it
Best SMS Marketing Apps for Shopify Store
- SMSBump SMS + MMS Marketing
- SMS, Web Push, Email ‑Firepush
- SMS Notifications
- Omnisend Email Marketing
- SMS & Messenger cart recovery
SMS Bump is Shopify’s most popular SMS marketing and automation app. With over800 Shopify Plus, 6000+ Shopify Advance and more than 20000 Shopify Basic plan stores are using this plugin. It is fully compliant with TCPA and GDPR laws.
- SMS Flows – Create intelligent SMS/MMS flows and let your business run on complete autopilot
- ROI Powered Text automation to increase conversions by reducing abandoned carts
- MMS support – Boost conversion by sending Image (PNG) or GIF SMS to your clients (but this service is only available within USA)
- SMS Segmentation – Target your customers according to their unique needs or interests
- Run A/B Testing. Run different kinds of SMS campaigns and get to know which technique works for you and which don’t
- Fully integrated with Shopify discounts and coupon codes
- You can schedule your SMS campaigns to comply with TCPA law
- Opt-out lists – keep track of unsubscribed clients
- Send messages just the right time – Don’t bother your customers during their sleep or work, you can schedule campaigns according to the location of customers.
- Quiet hours – You can set the hours in which you don’t want to disturb clients
- Country restriction – Send messages only to specific countries
- Max cost per text message – Optimize your costs and do not send SMS messages above a certain threshold to keep your marketing budget well within the limits.
- Emojis – Spice up your campaigns with smiles and goodwill gestures
- GIPHY and Pexels integration
- Detailed In app Analytics – Track orders, link clicks, SMS by country, conversion rate, amount spent, specific automation stats, campaign stats, Image SMS, GIF SMS special tags and many more
- Google UTM tracking is also supported
Firepush is an all-in-one marketing solution which can send email, SMS and messenger campaigns. It can support abandoned cart, discounts and push notifications. They provide great customer service with dedicated success manager assigned to your store. Below are the feature provided by this app:
- Abandoned shopping cart reminders
- Welcome messages
- Order confirmations
- Delivery updates
- Promotional messages (for cross-selling/upselling products)
- New product launches
- Review requests
- Wish list pushes
- Special offer countdown or price drop messages
- Loyalty discount messages
- Back in stock notifications
- Bulk email delivery
- Abandoned cart emails
- Win back customers emails
- Reward new customers emails
3. SMS Notifications by Onjection Labs
Now send SMS alerts to more than 220 countries all over the world. Notify your customers about different events like Account creation, Order creation, Order fulfilled, In-Transit, Out of delivery, Order cancelled, Order refund, abandoned orders and many more.
- Customers get information through SMS directly, no need to check the email inbox.
- SMS notifications sent to the customer and the admin, while the order gets placed.
- Send SMS notifications to 220 countries.
- SMS notification to customers, if unfortunately the order gets canceled.
- If the Order gets placed, then the SMS notification to the customer tells the Order successfully placed with Order Id.
- If Order status change to shipped, then the customers gets the SMS notification of order is shipped along with tracking ID.
- Unique shortened URLs for your tracking numbers is generated to track order status.
- If Order status change to delivery, then the customers gets the SMS notification like ‘Order successful to delivered’.
- With Shipway integration, send the notification to the customer about the order delivery, order in-transit, order delivered, etc.
- Send birthday reminders using 3rd party app integration with Shopify app ReConvert post-purchase upsell.
- You can also send abandoned cart recovery messages as well.
- Integrates with: Shipway and ReConvert
Omnisend is best app for marketing automation and customer contacts collection. You capitalize on pre-built automation workflows that you need to set up only once
- Welcome – Greet your customers and send offers after they signup.
- Abandoned Cart Recovery – Recover lost sales by automated cart recovery follow up emails
- Confirmation – Send order and shipping confirmation notifications
- Post-Purchase – Re-convert your visitors with post-purchase marketing campaigns
You can also grow your subscribers list by using the following features:
- Signup boxes – Place an always visible sticky signup box or non-intrusive signup form anywhere in your site
- Popups – Assign rules and decide which visitors see the popup and when.
- Wheel of Fortune – Award your customers with discounts in exchange for SMS or email.
- Landing pages – You can create custom landing pages with easy drag drop features that fits your marketing needs.
This plugin uses smart technology to track customer behavior so you can send them customized marketing campaigns that have higher chances of conversion.
- Abandoned cart Facebook Messenger & SMS messages to recover lost sales
- Promotional Facebook or SMS messages to generate new customers
- Win Back customer SMS messages
- Order receipt sent through Facebook & SMS messages
- Order delivery updates (shipping, delivered etc) through Facebook & SMS messages
- Discount codes via SMS
- Ask for reviews via SMS
- Reward new customers with discounts and offers via SMS
- Countdown bar to create urgency and increase sales
- Custom Facebook Messenger menu that fits with your niche and theme
- Send birthday SMS messages (ReConvert app required)
- Shopify Flows integration (Shopify Plus plan required)
You need to follow TCPA law before you start any SMS campaign.
The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) is a federal law in the United States and Canada. It limits the ways in which marketers and companies can legally contact their target audience. If you breach this law then you can be fined for upto $1500.
- Not call a residence before 8 am or after 9 pm (local time).
- Not send unwanted marketing faxes.
- Give recipients a way to opt-out of marketing messages at any time.
- Maintain a Do Not Call (DNC) list of people who have requested removal from your marketing messages. You must also honor such requests for five years.
- Not call a wireless number using prerecorded or auto-dialed calls or texts without consent.
- Not call a landline using an autodialer/prerecorded voice system without consent.